HISTORIC CHURCHES IN TALLADADEGA
First Presbyterian Church
130 North St E, Talladega, AL 35160
First Presbyterian Church is a historic church in Talladega, Alabama. It was built in 1860 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. First Presbyterian Church of Talladega welcomes you to worship with us every Sunday at 11:00am. Please contact a group member if you have questions about worship, events, or the Presbyterian faith.
Mt. Canaan Baptist Church
423 W Battle St, Talladega, AL 35160
Mount Canaan Baptist Church in Talladega, Alabama is a Bible believing Church. We don’t debate the Bible; we trust all of it from Genesis to Revelation. We believe that God is still saying what He said and doing what He did. We are a people who have been convinced by God that God is all. We have watched God work, felt God move and heard God speak in the deep places of our very essence. We have had prayers answered, observed lives changed, witnessed sick bodies healed, and broken spirits made whole.
St Peter's Episcopal Church
208 North St E, Talladega, AL 35160
In 1836, Episcopal services were being held in Talladega. By 1844, The Rev’d Thomas A. Cook arrived to establish a school for girls. Six years later the parish was organized with The Rt. Rev’d Hamner Cobbs, the first bishop of Alabama, reporting in his journal: "First Sunday after Easter visited Talladega, preached twice, baptized an infant. Here a parish has been organized and the prospects are improving." For the next 20 years, the parish met in stores along Talladega Square. After the Civil War, The Rev’d J. F. Smith and about 51 parish members built the first church building a few blocks from the Square.
In 1898, Bishop Henry M. Jackson traveled to Talladega to consecrate the grounds and lay the cornerstone for a "new stone church." Funding dwindled and it was 1922 before Bishop William McDowell re-laid the cornerstone and work on the church began again which was completed in 1927. Lawrence Hall, was added in 1958 and over the years was the Bingham Hall complex was added.
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church planted these parishes: Grace, Anniston; St. Andrews, Sylacauga; St. Luke’s, Jacksonville; St. Mary’s, Childersburg; Trinity, Alpine; St. James, Alexander City; The Episcopal Church of Piedmont, Piedmont; and St. John’s, Elyton. Then, working with other churches, St. Peter’s helped form St. Michael and All Angels, Anniston; St. Simon Peter, Pell City; and the Cathedral Church of the Advent, Birmingham.
The Reverend Benjamin W. Turnage led our parish from 2011 to 2019. In 2021, we welcomed the Rev. Susan Oakes as our Rector.