History Of Childersburg
"Childersburg traces its heritage to the Coosa Indian village located in the area. DeSoto, accompanied by 600 men, began his march across North America in June 1539. Traveling from Tampa Bay, Florida, northward through what became the Southeastern United States, DeSoto's expedition began searching for riches. Upon entering the area that would become Alabama, DeSoto and his men marched southward along the Tennessee River to Tali. From Tali, they marched to the banks of the Coosa River. In the middle of July 1540, the conquistadors reached the empire of the great Coosa. On July 16, 1540, the army of Spaniards entered the town of Coca (Coosa) located on the east bank of the river between two creeks, now known as Talladega and Tallaseehatchee. The young chief of the Coosas greeted DeSoto. For approximately a month, these invaders enjoyed the hospitality of the chief and his tribe, receiving an offer of land to establish a Spanish colony. After offering reasons for not accepting, the Spaniards departed Coosa in August 1540, leaving behind members of the expedition.
"The report of the 1939 DeSoto Commission, authorized by the U.S. Congress and chaired by John R. Swanton, irrevocably stated the site of Coca was the area in proximity to the present town of Childersburg. Dr. Walter B. Jones, Secretary of the DeSoto Commission and noted Alabama geologist, wrote many articles supporting this conclusion. Beginning with men left by DeSoto and continuing during a period of approximately 250 years, explorers, conquistadors, traders, and pioneer settlers penetrated the vicinity and occupied the area that is today known as Childersburg, Alabama. From settlers came the development of what would become the City of Childersburg."
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Childersburg.
Location. 33° 16.718′ N, 86° 21.221′ W. Marker is in Childersburg, Alabama, in Talladega County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street Southwest (State Highway 76) and 6th Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling east on 1st Street Southwest.