Marble City Cemetery Sylacauga
"Marble City Cemetery opened for public burials in 1898 when the City of Sylacauga purchased one acre of a wheat field from James T. Persons. Originally a private burial ground of the George W. Pearson family, the earliest burial dates from 1876. The city expanded the cemetery in 1919 and 1937. This ten acre cemetery is a mirror of the history of Sylacauga’s marble production. Local stone cutters and men from Italy, Hungary, and Scotland used this area’s native white marble to carve these beautiful monuments. Marble City Cemetery is the resting place for veterans of several wars including one Union and nine Confederate soldiers. Also interred here are Talladega County’s earliest settlers and area residents including eight mayors, a probate judge, and Congressman William F. Nichols.
"Listed in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register"
Erected 2009 by Perpetual Care Committee
Location. 33° 10.372′ N, 86° 15.579′ W. Marker is in Sylacauga, Alabama, in Talladega County. Marker is at the intersection of West 4th Street and Woodlawn Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 4th Street.