Sylacauga Cemetery, Talladega County
"Here, on a gentle west slope just outside of the original town limits, lies the earliest public cemetery in Sylacauga. The earliest tombstone remaining in the cemetery dates to 1839. Its location and the adjacent family plots of later dates reveal careful planning of the cemetery. Buried here are early community citizens, among them soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Civil War, Masons, doctors, ministers, land developers, and merchants of "Old Town" Sylacauga. Most of the tombstones are carved from beautiful white marble quarried nearby.The Herd brothers. three skilled Scottish stone masons, first located the rich marble deposits and are buried in this cemetery.
"Listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on September 15, 1975"
Erected 2019 by the City of Sylacauga.
Location. 33° 10.039′ N, 86° 14.969′ W. Marker is in Sylacauga, Alabama, in Talladega County. Marker is on East Ft. Williams Street east of North Broadway Avenue (Alabama Route 21), on the left when traveling east.