Sylacauga Historic Commercial District, Talladega County
"The district contains a collection of late-19th to mid-20th century commercial buildings representing over 60 years of Sylacauga's commercial history. On December 1, 1886, the Anniston and Atlantic Railroad became the first railroad to come through Sylacauga. As a result, the Marble City Land and Furnace Company purchased 300 acres of land where they plotted a new commercial district, located near the new railroad crossing at Broadway and Fourth Street. Known as New Town, this commercial district developed during the 1890s and with the expansion of the railroad, the prosperity of the 1890s brought 20 new commercial establishments to New Town. These businesses consisted of a hotel, livery stable, bank, blacksmith shop, saloon, hardware store, bakery, grocery store, barbershops, and drug stores. The core of the district is comprised of two blocks of North Broadway Avenue, originally named Broad Street, and three blocks of North Norton Avenue, which are bounded by First Street, Second Street, Third Street, and Anniston Avenue. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 2, 2004"
Erected 2019 by the City of Sylacauga.
Location. 33° 10.159′ N, 86° 15.038′ W. Marker is in Sylacauga, Alabama, in Talladega County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway Avenue (Alabama Route 21) and East 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on North Broadway Avenue.