The B.B. Comer Memorial Library, Talladega County
"The Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Sylacauga community, and the state of Alabama, constructed this library in 1939. The building is the result of $16,588 from raised local funds including a $5000 donation for furnishings from the family of the late Gov. Braxton Bragg Comer, for whom the library is named. The WPA donated $11,391 and included labor and supplies. The city dedicated the new library on November 21. 1939, on March of Progress Day, a day set aside to celebrate city growth and accomplishments. Because of this centrally located library. twelve county library stations opened, with two locations being available to African-American library patrons. After the close of the WPA in 1943, American Legion Post No. 45 purchased a bookmobile to circulate among the county stations. The library is an excellent example of Moderne architecture and is distinguished by locally quarried Alabama marble. The WPA commonly used this architectural style when designing public buildings. The city rededicated the library as the Isabel Anderson Comer Museum and Arts Center on February 28, 1982. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 5, 2005."
Erected 2019 by the City of Sylacauga.
Location. 33° 10.643′ N, 86° 15.048′ W. Marker is in Sylacauga, Alabama, in Talladega County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway Avenue (Alabama Route 21) and West 8th Street, on the left when traveling north on North Broadway Avenue.