top of page


The Silk Stocking District is a historic district in the city of Talladega, Alabama, USA. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 1979. Architectural styles include Queen Anne, Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, American Craftsman, and other late Victorian types. The district covers 113 acres (46 ha) and contained 120 contributing properties when first listed. They are worthy of preservation for the significance in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture.



Michael Supply Company

c 1894; Destroyed

301 East St S, Talladega, AL 35160, USA

On map, see #


Tool Robs House

c 1915; Destroyed

307 East St S, Talladega, AL 35160, USA

On map, see #


Wren-Avery House

c 1890

401 East St S

Designed by Montgomery architect Frank Lockwood and constructed by Robert S. West for Dr. E. B. Wren, a physician, this house displays beauty and craftsmanship in its ornamented spire, ornate chimneys, and unusual arched stained-glass triple-windows.

On map, see #


Wren Servants House

mid 19th century

104 South St W

On map, see #


Simms-Grice House

c. 1890

407 East St S

This Victorian house was built by Dr. B. B. Simms, a local physician, for use as his residence and office. A skylight illuminates the room he used for operation. The Simms family owned the home until 1983, when it was purchased by its current owner.

On map, see #


Adams House

c. 1890

409 East St S

Built by John Hicks, a local industrialist and banker, the house was sold to the Adams family, operators of Adams Carriage and Stable Company and one time owners of Shocco Springs. The house contains 23 rooms and 9 fireplaces.

On map, see #


Thornton - Pollack/Rawls


411 East St S

Built by Hugh McElderry for Probate Judge William Thornton, the elaborate trim work in the Carpenter's Gothic home exhibits well-executed craftmanship. When the Union Army under Gen John Croxton was passing through Talladega, Judge Thornton persuated the General to extinguish fires set in the courthouse by giving him a Masonic sign.

On map, see #


Thornton-Lee House


501 East St S

Built by J. Melville Thornton, this house is better known locally as Miss Nellie's Boarding House, since it was operated in that capacity for years by Miss Nellie Ellis.

On map, see #


Henkel King House


503 East St S

William Henkel built this house. Note the double-itched gabled roof and apron porch.

On map, see #


McAlpine-Simons House


505 East St S

Built for Judge Eli Sportridge, the house was purchased by Dr. August McAlpine in 1868. Notables who lived here were William Chilton, a Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, Franklin Bowden, Sr., one of Alabama's first orators and for whom Bowden College and the town of Bowden, Georgia are named. Robert E. B. Baylor, who resided here as a young lawyer, went on to be ordained a Baptist minister and a driving force in the founding of Baylor University in Waco, Texas.

On map, see #


Plowman-Heacock House


511 East St S

This Doric Greek Revival mansion was constructed for Captain Albert Plowman who married Idora McClellan, daughter of General William B McClellan. Idora McClellan Plowman became a national published writer of plantation life stories under the pen name of Betsy Hamilton. Ralph Hammond, author of Ante-Bellum Mansions of Alabama call this "Talladega's most beautiful Doric-colonaded mansion".

On map, see #


Wilson-Graham House


605 East St S

This house was built for Talladega banker Sam Wilson. Dormer windows in the paramidal roof are a recent addition.

On map, see #


bottom of page